Monthly Rides | “Bike to Church” | Helmets and Waivers | Information
Whether you’re new to biking or a long-time cyclist, a member or a friend of Fourth Church, the Fourth Church Cycling Club is for you. We have fun rides throughout the year to encourage cycling and fellowship. Participate whenever and however you wish. Do you have a youngster and a child bike seat? Put a helmet on your child’s head and join the group on our ride. Whether you’ve got the bike you had in high school or a brand new road bike, join us as we celebrate creation and our commitment to its preservation.
We are called to be faithful stewards of God’s creation, and we answer that call in many ways. Those who are so inclined demonstrate their stewardship by reducing our personal dependence on fossil fuels while, at the same time, increasing physical activity for the health of our bodies.
Join us for one of our monthly rides! (Helmets and waivers are required.)
Saturday, October 10
Join Cycling Club Co-Chair John Phillips on an outing to the Hyde Park neighborhood and the University of Chicago campus on Saturday, October 10.
- We will meet on the bike path at Oak Street beach, right where the tunnel goes under Michigan Ave., at 10:00 a.m.
- From there we will bike south along the lakefront.
- Once we get by the Navy Pier construction, downtown, and the museums, the bike path becomes much more peaceful and less congested.
- There is a nature bird sanctuary near McCormick Place. We will also go by Northerly Island (and could take a short spin there if you’d like), the new marina and beach near 31st St., Promontory Point, and then Hyde Park and the University of Chicago campus.
- Once on campus, we will bicycle by Rockefeller Chapel, the Mies Van de Rohe Social Science building, Frank Lloyd Wright’s Robie House, and other interesting buildings, and then we will go for lunch at one of a few cafes on 57th St.
- The bike ride is about 10–12 miles in one direction, and perhaps 25 miles overall. We should be able to return before 4:00.
To RSVP (required), contact Anne Ellis by Friday, October 9.
If you’d like to be on our email list for regular announcments and updates of rides as well as any last-minute change of plans due to the weather, just email us or leave your email address on the infoline. Details about when and where we’ll meet are available by checking our infoline (312.787.2729, ext. 9409) or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to check our information phone line—312.787.2729, extension 9409—or email email@example.com to get regular updates on our plans and activities.
Back to top
“Bike to Church”
Join us for “Bike-to-Church” Sunday when we’ll ride our bikes to Fourth Church and enjoy morning worship in our cycling gear. The more of us in cycling clothes, the better the promotion for the Cycling Club! Check back soon for the date of our next “Bike-to-Church” Sunday.
There are 126 bike racks in the neighborhood, most convenient to the church. A map of bike parking opportunities in the neighborhood is available online.
Back to top
Helmets and Waivers
All participants in Fourth Church Cycling Club rides are required to wear a helmet and sign a waiver.
Waivers for adults and waivers for youth and children can be downloaded and completed in advance and given to the ride coordinator on the day of the ride. These blanket waivers need only be completed once per cyclist.
Back to top
For more information about the Cycling Club, to sign up or express interest, or to volunteer to help with events and programming, email the Cycling Club or leave a message on the Cycling Club Infoline (312.787.2729, ext. 9409) and someone will get back to you.
Back to top