UYM Summer Staff Application
—Now accepting applications!—
Be a light in the city for young people
looking to make a difference in the city.
We’re glad you’re interested in joining our Urban Youth Mission summer staff!
The following provides an overview of the UYM program and staff responsibilities. Then there is an application form for you to complete.
Urban Youth Mission at Fourth Presbyterian Church hosts youth groups from around the country who are interested in experiencing urban mission and ministry in the third largest city in the United States. From a home base at the historic Fourth Church on Michigan Avenue, groups explore a variety of neighborhoods in this diverse city, learn about the blessings and challenges of contemporary urban life, and engage in hands-on service. By partnering with local nonprofit organizations and social service providers, Fourth Church provides groups a week-long summer program of service learning opportunities addressing poverty, homelessness, hunger, violence, education, and pluralism.
Expectations of Summer Staff
- Implement the Urban Youth Mission program and work well in a team
- Participate in and lead group reflections and Bible studies
- Lead groups on public transit to volunteer sites
- Coordinate projects with partner service sites and their staff
- Walk several miles daily and regularly lift up to 50 pounds
- Be flexible, energetic, and a fast learner
- Love working with youth
- Be a leader and a servant
- Have completed at least one year of college
- Clear a background check
Typical Week of UYM Summer Staff Activities
- Sunday Afternoon: Meet groups and help them get to the church if using public transit and prep for the coming week
- Sunday Night: Lead Orientation for UYM groups
- Monday-Thursday: Lead programs and work with groups at service sites
- Wednesday Dinner: Participate in staff development programming
- Thursday Evening: Participate in Closing Worship with group
- Friday: Morning Group Departures, Off Afternoon/Evening
- Saturday: Off
2019 Summer Schedule Overview
- May 29: Arrive for Orientation (3:00 p.m.)
- June 9: UYM Week 1
- June 16: UYM Week 2
- June 23: UYM Week 3
- June 30–July 3: UYM Junior High Half Week
- July 7: UYM Week 4
- July 14: UYM Week 5
- July 21: UYM Week 6
- July 28: UYM Week 7
- UYM staff will be done August 3, 2019
UYM is an intensive program; there will be limited opportunities for time off. Each staff person normally gets one morning off a week and Friday and Saturday afternoon and evenings. Additionally staff will have off July 4–6. Otherwise staff will be present each week from first thing in the morning through the end of the evening program and meetings.
Summer staff will share a space within the church campus but separate from the visiting groups.
Summer staff may join groups for breakfast, packed lunches, and evening meals provided by UYM.
Summer staff will be paid $300 per week for 8.5 weeks
Staff will be provided public transit cards. Cars are not needed, but if you do bring a car it will cost $10 per day
to park in nearby garage.
Staff will be supervised by Katie Patterson, Director of Urban Youth Mission.