Grounded in Jesus’ command to love one another, Stephen Ministry provides care to members of Fourth Church and to members of the broader community. Through ongoing one-to-one relationships for as much as one hour per week, Stephen Ministers provide love and care to those who are experiencing challenging times.
Apply to be a Stephen Minister
Becoming a Stephen Minister
What Qualities Do I Need? | Who Is a Stephen Minister?
Fourth Church Stephen Ministers | About Stephen Ministry
What Should I Know about Becoming a Stephen Minister?
- You must be a member of Fourth Church.
- Those interested in becoming a Stephen Minister are encouraged to complete an application, which is available online or by contacting David Handley, Interim Minister for Pastoral Care (firstname.lastname@example.org; 312.573.3360).
- You will be interviewed after an application is received.
- Those accepted into the program must complete fifty hours of training.
- Stephen Ministers must commit to two years of continuous service (in addition to the training period).
- After training is completed, ongoing supervision will be required in peer-led supervision groups twice per month.
What Qualities Do I Need to Become a Stephen Minister?
- Do you have gifts of mercy, encouragement, listening?
- Are you a person who feels compassion for others in their life challenges but wonders what you can do?
- Are you interested in people?
- Are you nonjudgmental?
- Are you patient?
Who Is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is a member of Fourth Church who
- Supports, listens, accompanies, prays, and cares for those receiving care
- “Is there” for his or her care receiver, meeting faithfully for an hour a week, for as long as the need exists
- Has been carefully selected for his or her caregiving skills
- Has received fifty hours of training in providing emotional and spiritual care
- Participates twice a month in peer supervision and periodically in continuing education
Fourth Church Stephen Ministers
Stephen Ministers: Blake Anderson, Rebecca Binks, Martha Brown, Connie Chang, Kathleen Cleary, John Clum, Robert Crouch, David Derks, Rebecca Dixon, Cary Donham, Sam Evans , Cathy Flaa, Jon Galloway, Marsha Heizer, Jean Joslyn, Dawn Kulich, Julie Montgomery, Robert Montgomery, Colleen Mraz, Melanie Oh Pierce , Sam Psimoulis, Evadne Stephens, Roger Wilson
Stephen Ministry Leaders: Paula Addington,
If you wish to learn more about becoming a Stephen Minister, please contact David Handley, Interim Minister for Pastoral Care (email@example.com; 312.573.3360).