UYM Summer Staff Application
—Now accepting applications! —
Be a light in the city for young people
looking to make a difference in the city.
We’re glad you’re interested in joining our Urban Youth Mission summer staff!
The following provides an overview of the UYM program and staff responsibilities. There is then an application form for you to complete, which can be filled out online below. (You can also download, fill out, and mail a hardy copy of the form by clicking here.) Applications are due by Wednesday, January 15.
Urban Youth Mission at Fourth Presbyterian Church hosts youth groups from around the country who are interested in experiencing urban mission and ministry in the third largest city in the United States. From a home base at the historic Fourth Presbyterian Church on Michigan Avenue, groups explore a variety of neighborhoods in this diverse city, learn about the blessings and challenges of contemporary urban life, and engage in hands-on service. By partnering with local nonprofit organizations and social service providers, Fourth Church provides groups a week-long summer program of service learning opportunities addressing poverty, homelessness, hunger, violence, education, and pluralism.
Expectations of Summer Staff
- Implement the Urban Youth Mission program and work well in a team
- Participate in and lead group reflections and Bible studies
- Lead groups on public transit to volunteer sites
- Coordinate projects with partner service sites and their staff
- Walk several miles daily and regularly lift up to 50 pounds
- Be flexible, energetic, and a fast learner
- Love working with youth
- Be a leader and a servant
- Have completed at least one year of college
- Clear a background check
Visiting Youth Groups arrive on Sunday evening and depart Friday mornings.
Typical Week of UYM Summer Staff Activities
- Sunday: Meet groups and help them get to the church if using public transit and prep for the coming week
- Sunday Night: Lead Orientation and Opening Activity for UYM groups
- Monday–Thursday: Lead programs and work with groups at service sites
- Monday Evening: Assist in running Homelessness Simulation
- Thursday Evening: Participate in Closing Worship with group
- Friday: Morning Group Departures, Off Afternoon/Evening
- Saturday: Off
2020 Summer Schedule Overview
- May 27: Arrive for Orientation (move in between 12:00–3:00 p.m.)
- June 1: Staff Training
- June 7: UYM Week 1
- June 14: UYM Week 2
- June 21: UYM Week 3
- June 28–July 1: UYM Junior High Half Week
- July 5: UYM Week 4
- July 12: UYM Week 5
- July 19: UYM Week 6
- July 26: UYM Week 7
- UYM staff will be done August 1, 2020
UYM is an intensive program; there will be limited opportunities for time off. Staff will be off Friday and Saturday, with exception of the staffer on call who will see the groups off that week. Additionally Interns will have July 4th off. Otherwise staff will be present from first thing in the morning through the end of the evening programand meetings.
UYM interns will share a space within the church campus but separate from the visiting groups.
UYM interns may join groups for breakfast, packed lunches, and evening meals provided by UYM.
Summer staff will be paid $300 per week for 9.5 weeks
Staff will be provided public transit cards. Cars are not needed, but if you do bring a car it will cost $17 per day
to park in nearby garage.
Staff will be supervised by Allie Green (312.274.3831), Director of Urban Youth Mission.