There are several ways for you to get involved in the mission and ministry of Fourth Presbyterian Church. Please see below for current volunteer needs as well as details on Helping Hands, a hands-on outreach group.
Contact Larry Nicholson, Director of Volunteer Ministry, (312.981.3382) for more information on how best to share your gifts of time and talent.
Please check back often for updates on volunteering needs.
Current Volunteer Needs
- Librarian for the Chicago Lights Tutoring program
- Beverage pourers for Sunday Night Supper on December 22 from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m.
Volunteers will also distribute Christmas gift bags and help clean up.
- Church members to serve as Nursery caregivers on Sundays at 9:30 or
- Shopping aide for guests of the Consumer Choice Food Pantry at the Chicago Lights Elam Davies Social Service Center on alternating Wednesdays from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Through Consumer Choice, guests of the food pantry are given a shopping list, and the volunteer aide will guide them as they fill their cart with the allotted number of items they’d like from the pantry.
- Computer lab instructor for the Chicago Lights Tutoring program, one evening a week from 5:25 to 5:55 p.m.
The computer lab instructor will facilitate engaging projects that help students learn how to navigate more effectively online and develop basic skills through technology. Some project ideas include:web searches, online educational games, “how to” videos and tutorials.
- Tutors for the Chicago Lights Tutoring program
Tutors meet one-on-one with youth in grades one through twelve one night a week, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. More information about Chicago Lights Tutoring is available here.
- Doctors, nurses, and pharmacists to provide medical information and expertise prior to Sunday Night Supper from 3:45 to 5:00 p.m.
Volunteers will discuss minor health concerns and provide resources. Dinner guests are primarily single adults experiencing homelessness. A limited amount of medical supplies is available for distribution. No prescriptions or medical procedures involved.
- Experienced website developer to help a church-affiliated AIDS agency improve their website
- Volunteers to cook and serve breakfast at a shelter in Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church
Volunteers will cook and serve breakfast at a shelter in the early morning one day a month on a rotating schedule. The shelter is located in Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church at 600 W. Fullerton.
- Helpers for the Chicago Lights Elam Davies Social Service Center bag lunch program on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays on a rotating schedule from 9:00 to 12:00 noon
Helpers thaw sandwiches, assemble items for each bag lunch, and load carts with lunches and drinks. There is also some opportunity for afternoon help.
- Benevolent Guild volunteers to prepare holiday tray favors and stuffed animals for hospitalized children on Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
- Servers for Monday and fourth Friday suppers from 3:30 to 6:15 p.m.
- Grocery shoppers for Sunday and Monday Night Suppers, on rotation
Grocery shoppers are needed to purchase supplies for Sunday Night Supper, Monday Night Supper, and sandwich teams. Shoppers are scheduled quarterly and shop about once per month. A list of the items to be purchased is emailed early/mid-week of the assigned shopping date. Volunteers shop for groceries at a time convenient for them (typically on Friday or Saturday for use on Saturday or Sunday), deliver them to the church, and secure them in refrigerators and cabinets downstairs. Shoppers are provided a copy of our sales tax-free letter and submit receipts for reimbursement.
Email access and a car are essential. A two-person team makes the job much easier! The project takes two to three hours, depending on the length of the grocery list, traffic, etc.
- Sorters to go through donated clothing items on Mondays or Thursdays
Hours are flexible. Volunteers may work alone or in small groups on a rotating schedule.
- Garden enthusiasts to help at the Chicago Lights Urban Farm (gardening, painting, cooking, composting, etc.) on Saturdays from 12:00 noon to
3:00 p.m. at 444 W. Chicago Ave.
Volunteers may work alone or be part of a small group. If part of a group, please contact Natasha Holbert (312.274.3831) in advance. This volunteer opportunity is “family friendly”—bring your children!
- Church members to usher during 11:00 a.m. worship
Members who enjoy “serving” hospitality are a perfect match for ushering responsibilities. Ushering morning services is a weekly commitment so that volunteers learn the routine, get acquainted with the members who attend that service, and become part of the team, helping to establish an esprit de corps. There is a sign-out book when ushers wish to take a Sunday off.
To volunteer, contact Larry Nicholson (312.981.3382).
Back to top
Fourth Presbyterian Church’s newest mission group, Helping Hands, works as a team on painting, construction, cleaning, and gardening projects. If you’re interested in hands-on outreach in the Chicago community, this group is for you!
For more information about Helping Hands, contact Nancy Davis (312.274.3815).