There are several ways for you to get involved in the mission and ministry of Fourth Presbyterian Church. Please see below for current volunteer needs as well as details on Helping Hands, a hands-on outreach group.
Contact Larry Nicholson, Director of Volunteer Ministry, (312.981.3382) for more information on how best to share your gifts of time and talent.
Please check back often for updates on volunteering needs.
Current Volunteer Needs
- Church members to serve refreshments at Coffee Hour on Sunday mornings
- Volunteers to help take down the Fair Trade Bazaar
Volunteers will help pack up unsold items in Anderson Hall and the Commons on Sunday, December 7 from 2:00 to 4:30 p.m. and then load items onto trucks.
- Tutors for the Chicago Lights Tutoring program
Tutors volunteer one evening a week—Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday—from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. New volunteers are asked to attend an orientation session. A schedule is available online here.
- Audio recording equipment operators for Sunday morning worship services
This volunteer opportunity is available immediately. Training will be provided.
- Instructors for In2it Café enrichment courses for children prior to Chicago Lights Tutoring
Share your hobbies and activities! Classes include art, chess, acting, knitting, martial arts, yoga, scrapbooking, crafting, playing guitar, fitness, singing, improv, healthy cooking, science, drumming, cheerleading, dance, computers, creative writing, and more. The time commitment is from 5:25 to 5:55 p.m., one evening a week—Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.
- Handbell ringers to join the Handbell Choir
Beginning or experienced ringers are encouraged to be part of this musical group. Rehearsals are held on Sundays at 8:00 a.m. The Handbell Choir plays on occasion at the 9:30 and 11:00 a.m. worship services.
- Dessert bakers for Monday Night Supper, on rotation
- Individuals to organize and pack supplies on Sunday afternoon for Monday Night Supper, on rotation
Organizing and packing takes approximately thirty minutes.
- Bag lunch assemblers and distributors on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday from 10:30 to 11:45 a.m. or 11:50 a.m. to 1:15 p.m., on rotation
- Sunday Night Supper dining room helpers to assist with setup, beverage pouring, hosting, and cleaning from 3:30 to 6:00 p.m., on sign-up basis
Small groups are welcome.
- Grocery shoppers for Sunday and Monday Night Suppers and sandwich teams, on rotation
Shoppers are scheduled quarterly and shop about once per month. A list of the items to be purchased is emailed early to midweek. Volunteers shop for groceries at a time convenient for them (typically on Friday or Saturday for use on Saturday or Sunday), deliver them to Fourth Church, and secure them in refrigerators and cabinets downstairs. Email access and a car are essential. Costco membership a plus! Shoppers are provided a copy of the Fourth Church sales tax-free letter and submit receipts for reimbursement. Shopping and delivery takes two to three hours, depending on the length of the grocery list, traffic, etc.
- Members to serve as liturgists during morning worship services
Church members are invited to serve as liturgists during the morning worship services on an occasional schedule. The responsibilities include meeting with the lay liturgist coordinator to rehearse the passage, arriving the day of the service at least twenty minutes early and meeting with the worship leader ten minutes before the service, reading the passage at the planned time in the worship bulletin, and staying at the service until its conclusion.
- Aspiring gardeners to help at the Chicago Lights Urban Farm (444 W. Chicago Ave.) on Saturday afternoons, 12:00 noon to 3:00 p.m.
Tasks include general farm cleanup and beautification, weeding, adding compost to growing beds, harvesting, trash pickup, planting, and compost-building. Individuals are welcome on all Saturdays. A $10 fee per volunteer is requested to help off set costs of the Urban Farm.
- Volunteers to wash and dry clothes, on rotation, for a family with a chronically ill child, located in zip code 60618
- Aides and substitutes for the Consumer Choice Food Pantry at the Chicago Lights Elam Davies Social Service Center to help guests on Thursday mornings and other times as needed
Through Consumer Choice, guests of the food pantry are given a shopping list, and the volunteer aide will guide them as they fill their cart with the allotted number of items they’d like from the pantry.
- Members to serve as ushers to serve during the 11:00 a.m. worship service
- Church members to serve as Nursery caregivers on Sundays at 9:30 or
- Share Shop sorters to go through donated clothing items and assistants to guests selecting clothing
Shifts available are Tuesday mornings, Wednesday mornings and afternoons, or Friday afternoons. Volunteers may work alone or in small groups on a rotating schedule.
- Sack lunch assemblers for the Chicago Lights Elam Davies Social Service Center bag lunch program on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays on a regular basis from 10:30 to 11:45 a.m.
Helpers thaw sandwiches, assemble items for each bag lunch, and load carts with lunches and drinks.
To volunteer, contact Larry Nicholson (312.981.3382).
Back to top
The Fourth Church mission group Helping Hands works as a team on painting, construction, cleaning, and gardening projects. If you’re interested in hands-on outreach in the Chicago community, this group is for you!
For more information about Helping Hands, contact Nancy Davis (312.274.3815).